This practice has been in existence since 1911, over 100 years ago. Dr. J. Chesney Hogshead began this first ENT practice in Chattanooga in a clinic that was located in the Hogshead Apartment Building at the corner of Georgia and Vine Streets. He was in a solo practice until 1947 when Dr. Harold Alper joined him after his release from serving in the Navy during World War II. Together they created the Hogshead-Alper Hospital at the same location. This practice is now known as The Associates in Ear, Nose, Throat/Head & Neck Surgery.
As a physician practicing medicine in this new specialty of ENT, Dr. Alper was intensely interested in surgery of the ear. He took special training in microscopic surgery of the ear at the University of Vienna, Austria in 1957. He was the first to introduce ear microsurgery in 1957 and laser surgery in 1973 to the Chattanooga area.
In April, 1967 Dr. Alper moved to the Medical Towers Building across from Erlanger. It was also in 1967 that Dr. John T. Evans joined the practice and three years later, in 1970, Dr. John F. Boxell and Dr. Hathaway K. Harvey joined them to complete the four-physician group.
All of these physicians have retired their partnerships with the Company and at the present, there are five ENT physicians making up the practice. You can view their information under the section "Who We Are".